What is a Pumpkin Pasty?
“Pumpkin Pasties are a wizarding food sold by the Honeydukes Express on the Hogwarts Express. They are sort of like a Cornish Pastie, but filled with pumpkin instead.
Harry Potter Background
Harry Potter tried them for the first time on the Hogwarts Express, at the start of his first year, when he famously impressed Ron Weasley by buying everything from the trolley saying “we’ll take the lot”. He bought some of everything off the food trolley, and then shared his food with Ron Weasley.
Pumpkin pasties were referenced in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Pasties are a traditional baked meat and pastry pie. This indicates that Pumpkin Pasties are similar fare, using pumpkin as the filling instead of meat and vegetables.”*
Bakery sold out?
No worries, you can make your very own pumpkin pasties!
Makes 16 large pasties
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2 packages of Pillsbury pie crust
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 extra beaten egg for egg wash (optional)
- Take pie crust and cut into quarters. You should end up with 16 triangles.
- Mix eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk and brown sugar in a bowl until incorporated.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt, stir well.
- Take a triangle of crust and pinch together two ends so that you are left with a cone.
- Scope in 2-3 tablespoons of pumpkin mixture into the cone and seal shut.
- Brush with egg wash – optional
- Repeat until all the crust is done. You may have extra filling, you can always put it in a ramekin and bake it to enjoy.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.
- Let sit at room temp or refrigerate for an hour before enjoying.
Enjoy your Monday class treat #BSMRCCE!